Recent downpours of heavy rain for the month of March so far have sent lake levels in the Northstate through the roof and still we are not done yet. Will Shasta Lake overflow? There is a good chance if we can keep pace. Officials said it would take at least three years to fill up California’s largest reservoir but it’s happening at a much quicker rate than expected.
Early Monday morning, Shasta Lake was at 79% of capacity and 103% of historical average for this time of year which puts us on a good path towards reaching peak levels and possibly over flowing it’s spillways with future storms and snow melt.
Lake Oroville is at 71% of capacity and 97% of historical average.
Folsom Lake is at 69% of capacity and 116% of historical average.
Trinity Lake is at 45% of capacity and 59% of historical average. We still need some help over here but there is snow in the mountains. Trinity Lake receives about 10% of rain to fill the lake but the remaining 90% is from snow melt. Do we have enough snow yet?
Highway 299 Road Conditions:
Monday morning, a mudslide was blocking the westbound lane of Highway 299W near Buckhorn Summit. One-way traffic controls were being used to allow traffic through the area.
FORECAST : Looking Ahead
These next few weeks look like prime time to get out there and enjoy the 70 degree temperatures. Some rivers will be high but some tailwaters should fall into shape quickly.
Lower Sacramento River Fly Fishing:
Despite massive amounts of rainfall we’ve still been out on the river. Go figure right? And it probably goes without saying but we had the place to ourselves and we didn’t see another angler. We had some kind folks come all the way out from Colorado to fish with us in Northern California so we made it happen. Thanks for coming out guys and thanks for brining the rain! Hopefully next time it won’t be an atmospheric river blasting us.
We are looking at 70 degree temps this week so as things settle down look for the Lower Sac to fish well for the remainder of the season! This is one of our favorite times of year out here, come check it out! But hopefully the mess coming down the river clears fast. Only time will tell.
This week we caught fish on black rubber legs, black PT’s, large prince nymph’s, eggs and alevins. If you didn’t hit the fish on the head there wasn’t much love. But it was amazing how aggressive the takes were. Those fish are hungry and will crush anything they can find. We even caught fish stripping streamers slow and erratic through soft current seams. The main hatch this week was without question PMD’s and midges. With warmer weather expect to see more caddis action. Let’s just pray for some better water quality.
Where is the color coming from?
The Culprit: Iron Mountain Mine- Superfund Site
We will update the river conditions in coming days so please check back in for updates. Thanks, Kennedy Brothers
Trinity River Fly Fishing:
Some photo’s from our last day out on the Trinity River before the storms took over. The Trinity is not done yet but many of the fish have entered the tributaries to spawn which is awesome. There still will be smaller pods moving up into the system but will be difficult to fish until flows come down a bit. Also the fly water will be opening April 1st on April Fools Day.